Saturday, May 3, 2014

a surprise find

There are very few things that we can't get here in Romania.  Cheddar cheese and sorghum flour are a couple of the items that have not yet made it to this country, but beyond that, the list is quite small, and normally good substitutes can be found.  I was a little disappointed to learn, however, that rhubarb was rarely seen here.  I had resigned myself to the fact that I would have to plant some someday and wait the few necessary years to be able to enjoy it.  Until...

A couple weeks ago Jonathan and I walked into the grocery store, and there in the first aisle was a bin full of rhubarb!  We were both so excited to see it that we snatched up all but three flimsy, little stocks and bagged it up to bring home and freeze.  All in all we had about 17 pounds of big, luscious-looking rhubarb!  We brought it home, cleaned it, cut it, and put it in 4 gallon-size ziploc bags.  Yum!  What a wonderful blessing to find!  I'm already looking forward to rhubarb desserts, rhubarb juice, rhubarb bread pudding, strawberry rhubarb jam, and so many other things.


Tomorrow is Romanian Mother's Day, and my in-laws are coming over for lunch.  Guess what's on the menu for dessert?  Rhubarb crisp!

1 comment:

All comments are moderated. I would love to hear from you, though! Please leave me a note, and it will be published soon.